This article was first published on the MEAction Global Network website.
Congressmembers Zoe Lofgren and Anna Eshoo, are currently asking for support from their fellow House Members for TWO requests that can increase funding for ME!
These requests would include:
1) Request $9.9 million for ME programs at the CDC (Labor-HHS committee)
2) Add ME to the Peer-Reviewed Medical Research Program (Defense committee)
What our Hill champions are fighting for will take efforts for ME to the next level and in a direction that can be built and expanded upon – something we desperately need. The potential of increasing funding for ME programs by millions of dollars is a huge step. We ask you to urge your elected officials to sign on to the letters that our champions are fighting for! Continue reading
Time to get out your #MissingMillions T-shirts and poster boards!
In case you haven’t heard, last week without warning or explanation, the Feds terminated the Federal Advisory Committee on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFSAC). Later the DHHS asserted that ME/CFS has been so embraced by the federal government that an advisory committee was no longer needed!
In response to this outrage, MEAction is organizing a day of protest this Friday, September 10,2018. If you are going to be in DC you can join the protest in person at HHS Headquarters in Washington, DC! Wouldn’t that be terrific!
Since most of us will not be able to do that, here’s the plan presented by #MEAction National;
Show up virtually on September 14th!
- Take a photo of yourself within the theme of “We will be Heard.”
Suggestions:Stare defiantly into the camera and hold up a sign that says, “Hear ME Now HHS;” or “We will be heard;” or “We will not be silenced.”
Write such words on your body.
Cover your mouth with a bandana and write, “Do not silence M.E.” or “HHS will hear ME.” – If you have another photo idea, we love it! What is the message that you want to send to the HHS? Use the hashtag and get the word out!
- Post your photo to social media with the hashtag #HearMEnowHHS. Tag the HHS director using the twitter handle: @SecAzar
- Call and email HHS Secretary, Azar. Watch this space! We will provide you call and email details soon.
- Send your friends to D.C. Encourage all friends and allies in the DC area to protest on your behalf!
Let’s take this a step further:
- Wherever you are in Colorado, there are other MEAction Colorado members nearby. If you are feeling strong enough to do so, reach out them and plan a little group photo shoot. You can do this ahead of time and post your pictures on Friday.
You can find friends in your area on our Facebook group or Contact us here and we’ll do our best to help.
If you are not on social media or need help posting, email your pictures to MEActionCO@gmail.com and we will post them for you.
Click here for more information about the CFSAC or here for all the details about the MEACTION protest.